Written by Shilpi Banerjee, Employment Specialist with Next-Steps Employment Centre – Scarborough
123 Green Lane | Toronto, ON | M1M 1M1 | 613-555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
February 1st, 2018
Mr. Donald Daigle
Senior Human Resources Advisor
Community Safety and Partnerships Branch
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
456 Another Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1A IA2
It is with great interest that I submit my application for the position of Policy Analyst with the Community Safety and Partnerships Branch of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada, Selection Process Number 06- PSP-lA-CSP-31. I feel confident that my educational background, previous experience as a Policy Analyst combined with my passion for crime prevention through social development will make me an excellent addition to your team.
I presently work in the National Capital Region in the Health Care Policy Directorate of Health Canada. Within my current role I have demonstrated my language proficiency by being fully bilingual with a level EEE. My educational background includes a BA in Sociology from the University of Ottawa and a Master’s Degree in Government Policy from Carleton University.
My following experience, skills and qualification are a direct match with the requirements for the Policy Analyst position:
1. Social policy analysis with a focus on crime prevention through social development
- As a policy analyst with the Health Care Policy Directorate of Health Canada, I analyze social policy. While working in the Non-Medical Use of Drugs Directorate, I wrote a policy paper on the effects of methadone clinics and other social health services on crime prevention and recidivism amongst heroin addicts. This paper received national attention as it was published and quoted in several peer-reviewed papers.
2. Participating in policy or multidisciplinary project teams
- Participated in multidisciplinary project team of economists, sociologists and public health professionals in developing and writing policy papers on various aspects of health care. Throughout my work experience I have demonstrated my ability to work positively and strategically in diverse and dynamic team environments, taking the lead as needed and encouraging the input and support from all team members.
3. Writing of reports, briefing notes and policy statements
- Regularly write reports and policy statements on various aspects of social programs.
- Participated in the drafting of several briefing notes to the Minister on current developments in health care. Demonstrated professional writing skills with high level of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
I would welcome an opportunity to work in the Community Safety and Partnerships Branch. With my interests and background in crime prevention through early intervention and social programs, I feel that I could contribute to policy analysis and formulation in your Branch. I look forward to hearing from you.
Need more help? Attend our Resume & Cover Letter workshops at any of our 7 GTA locations. Workshop calendars can be found here. Call to register at your nearest location.